Posted By Claire on July 19, 2010
Just a quick post to say that I’m back from my 2 week holiday in the UK which was a combination of a family holiday and a Tudor fix for me. Apologies to those of you who have been wondering why you have not received your usual Anne Boleyn Files articles via email and for my lack of commenting here and on the forum but I’m back now!
I had such fun in the UK and highlights of my trip include (apart from seeing my wonderful family and friends!):-
- Hearing Alison Weir talk at the Mary Rose Museum
- Going out to dinner with Alison Weir and discussing all things Tudor
- Meeting Leanda de Lisle and chatting about Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII and Lady Jane Grey
- Visiting the Tower of London again and meeting up with Paul from our recent Anne Boleyn Experience Tour – great to see you again, Paul!
- Getting the shivers at Kenilworth Castle as I imagined Elizabeth visiting Robert Dudley there in 1575
- Visiting the magical ruins of Lady Jane Grey’s family home, Bradgate House, in the beautiful Bradgate Park deer park – idyllic!
- Looking around the exhibition at the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre
- Going on the London Eye and spotting all of those famous London landmarks
- Being near Big Ben when he chimed (he “bongs” rather than chimes!) the hour.
- Returning to Hever and saying “hi” to Anne – I walked the Anne Boleyn walk, watched my children having fun in the water maze and thought of Anne and her family as I got lost in the beautiful gardens. I was tempted to kiss the ground!!
- Paying my respects to Thomas Boleyn and little Henry Boleyn at St Peter’s Church, Hever.
As you can see, I managed to fit rather a lot into 2 weeks and that’s not counting all of the people we visited! So, I’ve got lots to tell you and so much inspiration for future articles and my book, so watch this space.
Please check out my article on Elizabeth I and Kenilworth over at The Elizabeth Files – http://www.elizabethfiles.com/elizabeth-is-visit-to-kenilworth-castle/3953/ – and you can get lost in my photos at our Flickr page – http://www.flickr.com/photos/theanneboleynfiles/