Horne was one of 18 Carthusian monks killed between May 1535 and August 1540. Some were hanged, drawn and quartered, some were hanged in chains and others were starved to death. All 18 have been recognised by the Catholic Church as martyrs.
Here are links to articles giving more information on the Carthusian Martyrs:
- 4 August 1540 – The Execution of Blessed William Horne – gives details of the other men who died that day.
- 19 June 1535 – The Executions of Three Carthusian Monks
- 4 May 1535 – The Executions of the Carthusian Martyrs
- The Carthusian Monastery of Granada
Also on this day in history…
- 1557 – Burial of Anne of Cleves, Fourth Wife of Henry VIII at Westminster Abbey. Her body had been processed from Chelsea to Westminster the previous day.
- 1598 – Death of William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, at his home in London.