4 September 1539 – Marriage Treaty of Anne of Cleves and Henry VIII
Posted By Claire on September 4, 2011
On this day in history, 4th September 1539, William, Duke of Cleves, signed the marriage treaty promising his sister, Anne, in marriage to King Henry VIII. The Duke then sent the treaty to England, where it was ratified and concluded by early October.
You can read more about Anne of Cleves in the following articles:-
- Birth of Anne of Cleves
- Anne of Cleves Arrives in England
- The Marriage of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves
- Anne of Cleves – Flanders Mare?
- 9 July 1540 – Henry VIII’s Marriage to Anne of Cleves Annulled
- 16 July 1557 – Death of Anne of Cleves
Also on this day in history…