Thank you so much to those of you who participated in the Anne Boleyn Files recent survey on Anne Boleyn books, movies and documentaries, I really appreciate your feedback.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, let me explain. Just over a month ago, I asked Anne Boleyn Files followers to share their recommendations for books, TV series and movies on Anne Boleyn. It’s always good to hear what others have found useful and enjoyed, especially if you’ve just become interested in Anne Boleyn.
So, without further ado, here’s a list compiled from the answers to the survey. I’ve added in links to Amazon.com (just click on the title), but you can also find these books on the other Amazon sites and through other book retailers.
Anne Boleyn non-fiction book recommendations
Biographies and non-fiction books related to Anne Boleyn:
- The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives
- Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England’s Tragic Queen by Joanna Denny
- Anne Boleyn by Marie Louise Bruce
- The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir
- The Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser
- The Creation of Anne Boleyn by Susan Bordo
- The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII by Retha Warnicke
- Anne Boleyn: Henry VIII’s Obsession by Elizabeth Norton
- The Anne Boleyn Collection II by Claire Ridgway
- The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown by Claire Ridgway
- In The Footsteps of Anne Boleyn by Sarah Morris and Natalie Grueninger
- Lives of the Queens of England by Agnes Strickland. The link takes you to Archive.org where you can read the volume containing Anne Boleyn online.
- One participant also mentioned The Lisle Letters, which are letters sent between Arthur Plantagenet, 1st Viscount Lisle (and his wife, Honor) and courtiers and contacts in England. They are a wonderful primary source for the period 1533-1540.
Anne Boleyn fiction recommendations
Anne Boleyn novels or fiction featuring Anne Boleyn:
- Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn by Nell Gavin
- The Concubine by Norah Lofts
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
- Falcon’s Rise by Natalia Richards
- The Lady in the Tower by Jean Plaidy
- Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes
- Mademoiselle Boleyn by Robin Maxwell
- Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession by Alison Weir
- The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn by Robin Maxwell
- Dear Heart, How Like You This? by Wendy J Dunn
- Struck with the dart of love: Je Anne Boleyn (Volume 1) by Sandra Vasoli
- Truth endures: Je Anne Boleyn (Volume 2) by Sandra Vasoli
- Murder Most Royal: The Story of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard by Jean Plaidy
- Mayflowers for November: The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn by Malyn Bromfield
- Le Temps Viendra: A novel of Anne Boleyn Volume I and Le Temps Viendra: A novel of Anne Boleyn Volume II by Sarah Morris
- Anne Boleyn: A Novel by Evelyn Anthony
- The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George
- A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Laurien Gardner
- Doomed Queen Anne: A Young Royals Book by Carolyn Meyer
- Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor by Kathryn Lasky
Documentaries on Anne Boleyn or Henry VIII’s six wives
- Henry & Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History
- The Last Days of Anne Boleyn
- Secrets of the Six Wives (PBS) or “Six Wives with Lucy Worsley” (BBC series)
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII with David Starkey
Movies and TV series that Anne Boleyn Files followers feel depict Anne Boleyn the best
- The Tudors: Complete Series
- Anne of the Thousand Days
- Wolf Hall
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII – six part TV series starring Keith Michell.
- Henry VIII and His Six Wives (1972) – The movie starring Keith Michell.
- I am Henry – 23 minute short film. The link goes to YouTube where you can watch it.
- Donizetti: Anna Bolena – opera on DVD
- Henry VIII – starring Ray Winstone
- The Private Life of Henry VIII – starring Charles Laughton
Have we missed your favourites? Do share your recommendations in the comments below.