Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Wuthering Heights (2009)
March 19, 2013
5:50 pm
black_mamba
Texas, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 91
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I finished watching an adaption of Emily Bronte’s “Wuthering Heights.” (My favorite novel) The only one had a seen previously to this one, was the 1939 version. (The 1939 version was very good I thought, though they never talk about Catherine daughter, Cathy, or Linton or Hareton which really take away from the story) This version was produced by PBS Masterpiece Theatre. It starred Tom Hardy as Heathcliff and Charlotte Riley as Catherine.
Here’s a little info:
In approaching the novel as a 180-minute adaptation writer Peter Bowker observed: “How do you go about adapting the greatest love story in literature? Well, firstly by acknowledging that it isn’t a love story. Or at least, it is many things as well as a love story. It’s a story about hate, class, revenge, sibling rivalry, loss, grief, family, violence, land and money…”
He noted that the book had previously proved “stubbornly unadaptable”, the most successful version being the Hollywood picture starring Laurence Olivier, which succeeded because “with classic Hollywood ruthlessness they filleted out the Cathy/Heathcliff story and ditched the rest of the plot. It’s a great film but it does the novel a disservice.”
Bowker hoped to “open up some of the other themes, not least the story of how damage is passed down through generations, how revenge poisons the innocent and the guilty, how the destructive nature of hate always threatens to overwhelm the redemptive power of love” but acknowledged that “structurally, the novel is notoriously difficult”
Faced with this “complex and sometimes frustrating structure” Bowker decided to reassemble the plot of the novel in chronological order and read it again. He credits the “exercise in literary vandalism” as “a breakthrough moment in pointing to the book’s adaptability”. In his version, Bowker “decided to drop [the original narrator] Lockwood altogether and absorb Nelly’s [partial narration] into the main drama”.
Bowker also shuffled with the original organisation of the flashback episodes, instead beginning his drama “at the moment when Linton is delivered by the dying Edgar to the old Heathcliff at the Heights”, rather than through the visitor Lockwood’s arrival at the estate. He suggested this reshuffle would increase audience interest; as the story begins “two men hate each other and we don’t know why. The Kind Man is giving his ailing nephew to the Monster and we don’t know why. Start with a mystery”. Bowker also found this introduction gave “the story of the younger generation the room it deserves”

This was a really incredible adaption of the novel. Tom Hardy did a wonderful portrayal of Heathcliff. I cried so hard when Catherine died. The saddest scene was when he sees Catherine’s body in the coffin, and he begs her to haunt him…
Heathcliff: [bending over Cathy’s coffin] You said I’d killed you… Haunt me then… Be with me always… Take any form, drive me mad but don’t leave me. In this abyss where I cannot find you… I cannot live without my life, I cannot live without my soul…
Cry

At times I almost dream, I too have spent a life the sages' way,
And tread once more familiar paths. Perchance I perished in an arrogant self-reliance
Ages ago; and in that act, a prayer For one more chance went up so earnest, so
Instinct with better light let in by death, That life was blotted out—not so completely
But scattered wrecks enough of it remain Dim memories as now, when once more seems The goal in sight again. -- Robert Browning, Paracelsus

March 19, 2013
7:23 pm
Sharon
Binghamton, NY
Members
Forum Posts: 2114

I have read the book a few times, and I have seen the 1939 movie a number of times. I haven’t seen it in years though. Every time I watch it, I end up sobbing like a baby and I cannot stop. I don’t think there is another movie where I have that reaction. It’s terrible. Your last quotation almost made me cry. I’m too old to be sobbing over a movie. I might hurt myself. Wink Thanks for the review though. It is nice to see that Wuthering Heights still moves people.

March 19, 2013
10:02 pm
black_mamba
Texas, USA
Members

The language is just so moving….
“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Cathy

I love how when her and Heathcliff talk about each other, they always talk as if they are one and the same. Cathy says at one point, “I AM Heathcliff.”
I LOVE that! People don’t talk like that anymore…

Honestly, I can understand why Heathcliff is such a bitter man. I mean, Cathy’s father brings him home (No telling what he saw on the streets or had to do to survive) and Cathy’s father and her are the only people who are nice to him and care, and love him. When Cathy’s dad dies, Hindley (her brother) pretty much treats him like a slave. Later, the only woman he loves (and only person who really cares about him) jilts him for Edgar Linton because he doesn’t have any money. I guess I shouldn’t say “jilt” cuz he ran off before she could tell him how she really felt. But, I mean…Edgar Linton? He is a nice enough guy, but COME ON!

And tread once more familiar paths. Perchance I perished in an arrogant self-reliance
Instinct with better light let in by death, That life was blotted out—not so completely
But scattered wrecks enough of it remain Dim memories as now, when once more seems The goal in sight again. -- Robert Browning, Paracelsus

March 25, 2013
10:02 pm
LadyPrincess
Members
Forum Posts: 63

Hello, everyone.

I hope no one minds me jumping in on the topic here. But WH is one of favorite novels as well.

I’ve seen many of the adaptations too; but I agree with you, black_mamba, my favorite would have to be the Tom Hardy version. He, Charlotte Riley, Burn Gorman and Sarah Lancashier all looked very much how I envisioned the characters. My second favorite would have to be the one starring Timothy Dalton (though he didn’t look very much like Heathcliff). I thought he acted very well in it.

But to expand on your comment about how could Cathy leave Heathcliff for the dull and stuck up Linton, I think there must have been some very small part of Cathy that shared her brother’s sentiments about Heathcliff. Meaning that she did think him wild, uncouth, mean and a loser (for lack of a better word). I think she thought she was better than Heathcliff as well and thought it only natural to marry someone like Linton.

“How haps it, Governor, yesterday my Lady Princess, and today but my Lady Elizabeth?"- Elizabeth I

March 25, 2013
10:23 pm
black_mamba
Texas, USA
Members

LadyPrincess said

But to expand on your comment about how could Cathy leave Heathcliff for the dull and stuck up Linton, I think there must have been some very small part of Cathy that shared her brother’s sentiments about Heathcliff. Meaning that she did think him wild, uncouth, mean and a loser (for lack of a better word). I think she thought she was better than Heathcliff as well and thought it only natural to marry someone like Linton.

I agree. I also think that she didn’t have too much say or choice in the matter. Linton was acceptable as a husband, but Heathcliff was not.

I re-watched “Wuthering Heights” again yesterday, and I just bawled at the end of the movie. And of course, when Cathy died. AGAIN. Cry
I think all the actors in the movie did an excellent job. Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley were amazing. Every actor/actress from Nelly to Hindley to Edgar Linton and Isabella did a AMAZING job. They were EXACTLY as I pictured them, also. The younger generation : Catherine, Hareton, and Linton were great too. I really liked Catherine and Hareton together.
It really is my favorite book, and love to keep watching different adaptions of it.

March 25, 2013
11:07 pm
LadyPrincess
Members
Forum Posts: 63

Indeed! I love it too (book/adaptation)! But I can see why the Cathy of the Tom Hardy version would want to marry Linton…because Andrew Lincoln isn’t too shabby to look at Wink

Switching gears a bit, have you read “The Woman in White” by Wilkie Collins? It’s one of my favorites. Though I didn’t like the adaption of it staring Tara Fitzgerald. It was boring and unfaithful.

“How haps it, Governor, yesterday my Lady Princess, and today but my Lady Elizabeth?"- Elizabeth I

March 26, 2013
1:04 pm
black_mamba
Texas, USA
Members

LadyPrincess said

Indeed! I love it too (book/adaptation)! But I can see why the Cathy of the Tom Hardy version would want to marry Linton…because Andrew Lincoln isn’t too shabby to look at Wink

Switching gears a bit, have you read “The Woman in White” by Wilkie Collins? It’s one of my favorites. Though I didn’t like the adaption of it staring Tara Fitzgerald. It was boring and unfaithful.

Andrew Lincoln is pretty cute. Laugh

I just read a small summary of of “The Woman in White” and I will definitely be putting this on my Book List. My book List is REALLY growing lately…

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 214
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Anyanka: 2333
Boleyn: 2285
Sharon: 2114
Bella44: 933
DuchessofBrittany: 846