Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
521st Birthday
June 28, 2012
8:49 pm
Maggyann
Nottingham
Members
Forum Posts: 238
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I saw the headline as I logged in via the blog page and it made me think. 21 – key of the door – all that sort of thing. Well not so much these days of course but I wondered about Henry. I don’t expect his 21st was a particular celebration really, he was already King and married etc but what age would have been his ‘coming of age’? Did they even have such a rite of passage in the 1500s? Was there a special birthday? Anybody know?

Let us show them that they are hares and foxes trying to rule over dogs and wolves - Boudica addressing the tribes Circa AD60

June 28, 2012
11:51 pm
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285

Hmm this one is a bit of brain teaser. I rather think a boy was considered of age from about 12ish, as they could then go to war if they were called upon. I believe that during the Pilgramage of Grace riots there were children as young as 12 fighting along side their family.
Girls I think were considered of age from the time they betrothed, as betrothal was as good as marriage, therefore they were no longer the property of their parents but now belonged to their Husband to be and his family. Therefore they were expected to behave as an adult female.

I don’t think birthday’s in Tudor times and even before were considered as anything really brilliant, perhaps the first 4 or 5 years were seen as milestones but anything past that was just a bonus.. You must also remember that given that most hatches,matches and despatches weren’t even recorded most people didn’t even know the date they were born and would probably only know that they were born in Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn.

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

June 29, 2012
12:45 am
Anyanka
La Belle Province
Members
Forum Posts: 2333

Canon law was 12 for girls and 14 for boys to marry (http://www.nairaland.com/45041…..aedophilia)

Children tended to be expected to be adults much earlier than we do. Margaret Beaufort was regent for the few months before H8 reached his 18th birthday.

It's always bunnies.

June 29, 2012
3:08 pm
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285

Anyanka said

Canon law was 12 for girls and 14 for boys to marry (http://www.nairaland.com/45041…..aedophilia)

Children tended to be expected to be adults much earlier than we do. Margaret Beaufort was regent for the few months before H8 reached his 18th birthday.

That is entirely feasable, given that a woman’s role was primaraly to have children the sooner they were married and pregnant the better, hope that makes sence.
Margaret Beaufort as regent is a bit of a mystery to me. Why? Yeah ok so Henry was only 17, but if he was considered old enough to be a husband (Betrothal was as good as a marriage) therefore wouldn’t he be considered old enough to rule as well?
Lets say for the state of arguement that H8 and KOA had actually married when H8 was 14 KOA would have been 19/20 and they had a child, before H7 death, would Margaret still be seen as regent? Ok it’s a hypothetical question, but surely if that had been the case wouldn’t the whole business of a regent be vetoed?
Why bother with a regent anyway considered that there was only literely a matter of a about 6 weeks to go before H8 turned 18 anyway, and it would take tht long to sort out all the paperwork and tie up any loose ends that H7 reign would have left. Most of H7 ministers were old and dab hands at dealing with such matters so there wouldn’t be the need for a regent surely?

Yes I agree Children were not considered children for long, basically once they were weaned they were seen as adults. Boys were expected to spend all their free time in the Archery Butts or learning Sword Craft and warcraft etc. Whilst girl’s were expected to learn how to run a household, learning about medicines and herbs, cooking, needlecraft etc. So that whenever they were called upon they could do their expected duty, with the same flair and panache as their parents.

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 214
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Anyanka: 2333
Boleyn: 2285
Sharon: 2114
Bella44: 933
DuchessofBrittany: 846
Mya Elise: 781