Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Anne's miscarriage in 1536.
October 26, 2014
10:12 pm
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have been doing a little bit of research into 16th century herbal medicines, and it appears that many of them had some very nasty side effects, which could cause all sorts of problems.
Anyway as we all know Anne suffered, a miscarried in 1536 which was part of the reason for her downfall. (she may have suffered another miscarriage or still birth in between this one and Elizabeth birth. Some scholars say yes she did whilst others say no. Either way I will leave this question open to speculation)
Anne blamed Norfolk (the odious, cretinious jumped up poppinjay) for her miscarriage, and certainly at the time she was under a lot of stress and Norfolk’s actions on that day of Lard’s accident wouldn’t have helped her feel any better.
I feel that she was so stressed after Norfolks revelation that she would have perhaps been given a posset to help her to calm down a little.
One herb which has leapt out at me is Peony, this herb/flower is extremely poisonous, if injested in large enough quantities it causes death, however in smaller doses it causes instant miscarriage. Is it possible that the posset she may have been given that day contained along with other herbs, Peony?
If so was the person who made up the posset aware of the affects of Peony? Was it possible that the person was paid a large sum of money to put Peony into the mix. Or was it purely accidental?

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

October 27, 2014
3:05 pm
Sharon
Binghamton, NY
Members
Forum Posts: 2114

Boleyn, are you saying that the posset would have caused a miscarriage immediately? According to your info, if Anne was given this posset directly after Norfolk informed her of the jousting accident, and if peony causes instant miscarriage, wouldn’t she have had the miscarriage on that day? That happened on the 24th. She miscarried on the 29th. That’s five days later.

October 27, 2014
9:08 pm
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285

Well perhaps instant wasn’t the right word, but certainly if she had had a posset that contained Peony I think it may have taken a while to have taken affect, so perhaps it may have taken 5 days to kick in.
Am I right in thinking that after this miscarriage she was quite ill for a few days afterwards? If so that may well have been indicitive of some sort of toxin being injested.

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

October 28, 2014
7:40 pm
Anyanka
La Belle Province
Members
Forum Posts: 2333

FWIW, I was ill after my miscarriage for several days and I wasn’t under any sort of stress. I got some kind of post=partum infection, Given the lack of hygiene in that era, it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what happened to Anne as well.

It's always bunnies.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 214
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Anyanka: 2333
Boleyn: 2285
Sharon: 2114
Bella44: 933
DuchessofBrittany: 846
Mya Elise: 781