Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Anne Boleyn - Engraving after Holbein Portrait, 1530
October 1, 2013
8:25 am
Mariette
Members
Forum Posts: 91
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This engraving, supposedly of Anne Boleyn based on a Holbein portrait, appears in Cavendish’s ‘The Life of Cardinal Wolsey’ edited by S.W. Singer. The sitter is aged 27 in 1530. Could this be based on the Holbein portrait that Paul Friedmann was referring to in his biography of Anne Boleyn? In any case, the sitter is quite lovely. What do you think?

http://archive.org/stream/life…..7/mode/1up

http://www.albion-prints.com/b…..3865-p.asp

Anna Boleyn. Born anno 1503 Married to Henry VIII King of England anno 1530, Beheaded 19th May 1536.
Engraved by R. Cooper 9 Upper Pratt Place Camden Town from an original Picture by Hans Holbein in the possession of M. Wocker at Basle.
London, Pubd. May 1st. 1824, by R. Ackermann, 101 Strand.
A very fine stipple, etching and engraving with large margins. Plate 400 x 279mm. 15¾ x 11″.
According the British Museum, this item is not listed by Ganz or Rowlands among the paintings or drawings by Holbein. The identification as Anne Boleyn may also be incorrect, although the sitter bears some resemblance to the woman depicted in a drawing attributed to Holbein and thought to be of Anne in the Royal Collection.
http://www.grosvenorprints.com…..ch1=Submit

October 2, 2013
8:51 am
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285

I’m inclined to think that these pictures are more likely to be Anne of Cleves rather than Anne Boleyn. For some reason the way the sitter is posed seems more the way Anne of Cleves held herself. The manner of dress too makes the sitter look quite lumpy. Anne.B had curves and her clothes clung to her body making her appear more sexy.
The clothes on the sitter of these portraits looks like they are well filled out if that makes sence. I think they have been mislabeled. To me at least they are of Anne of Cleves.

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

October 2, 2013
10:35 am
Mimico
Members
Forum Posts: 15

I think that the engraving is actually one of Anne of Bohemia (dont quote me) or someone with a similar name. It was passed down the centuries and along the way the Bohemia turned it a Boleyn. Its a case of mislabelling or maybe it was just an artists impression of Anne but the clothes the sitter is wearing is not right for the time that Anne lived

October 2, 2013
11:45 am
Steve Callaghan
UK
Members
Forum Posts: 146

Boleyn said

I’m inclined to think that these pictures are more likely to be Anne of Cleves rather than Anne Boleyn. For some reason the way the sitter is posed seems more the way Anne of Cleves held herself. The manner of dress too makes the sitter look quite lumpy. Anne.B had curves and her clothes clung to her body making her appear more sexy.
The clothes on the sitter of these portraits looks like they are well filled out if that makes sence. I think they have been mislabeled. To me at least they are of Anne of Cleves.

The crucifix necklace featured in the Cooper engraving also features in virtually all the major Anne of Cleves portraits that we know of. :)

October 2, 2013
4:13 pm
Olga
Australia
Members
Forum Posts: 766

I’ve seen one of Anne of Cleves that looks a bit similar to that too. Awesome hat! I have never seen that one before though

October 2, 2013
4:50 pm
Steve Callaghan
UK
Members
Forum Posts: 146

Mimico said

I think that the engraving is actually one of Anne of Bohemia (dont quote me) or someone with a similar name. It was passed down the centuries and along the way the Bohemia turned it a Boleyn. Its a case of mislabelling or maybe it was just an artists impression of Anne but the clothes the sitter is wearing is not right for the time that Anne lived

Yup. On investigation, it looks like the portrait is of Anne of Bohemia, painted by Hans Maler.

October 2, 2013
9:01 pm
Mariette
Members

Steve, Mimico, you are absolutely right, the third portrait down here is identical

http://jeannedepompadour.blogs…..y-and.html

Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on you!

October 2, 2013
10:19 pm
Boleyn
Kent.
Members
Forum Posts: 2285

Mystery solved, then, until something jumps up and bites us in the arse that is.

Semper Fidelis, quod sum quod

October 2, 2013
10:54 pm
Mariette
Members

Boleyn said

Mystery solved, then, until something jumps up and bites us in the arse that is.

Laugh

October 3, 2013
6:55 pm
Sharon
Binghamton, NY
Members
Forum Posts: 2114

Mariette said

Boleyn said

Laugh

Wink

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 214
Currently Online:
Top Posters:
Anyanka: 2333
Boleyn: 2285
Sharon: 2114
Bella44: 933
DuchessofBrittany: 846
Mya Elise: 781